top of page

Lima
2-6-2 standard gauge

Yakutat & Southern Railroad #2

Description

History

When Yakutat needed fish transportation, the Yakutat and Southern Railroad was incorporated in 1903 serving the cannery, sawmill, and general store. Incorporation papers were signed by F.S. Stimson, Chas T. Scurry along with J.T. Robinson from Washington State. The railroad's first line of business was hauling lumber to the sawmill at Stimson Lumber Company so the wood could be used to build a cannery and businesses in Yakutat, AK. In 1904, the cannery was used by Gorman & Company along with other canneries within Southeast Alaska until 1913 when McNeill and Libby purchased the operation to sell salmon in Chicago, IL. The last of the private owners was the Marines Food and Packing Co. in 1971. Currently, the City and Borough of Yakutat, AK operates the cannery. The Yakutat & Southern Railroad thought it was the only railroad company in the United States to haul salmon during the fishing seasons. If passengers had fishing gear, there was no cost for riding. Trains could not operate during the winter season to late spring when all the snow had melted. Fishermen had to walk along the slough to prepare themselves before the fishing season began. During WWII, the railroad was used

to haul supplies and equipment to the new airfield while a road was being built. By 1969, the railroad was no longer necessary with the roads and airports able to be more convenient. Most buildings owned by the railroad are abandoned, some equipment is scrapped, and rails are removed. However, this locomotive is on display at the Train Park.




Location

Yakutat Rd & Forest Hwy No. 10

© 2021 by Eric Hume

WIN_20230608_22_41_54_Pro_edited.jpg
bottom of page